World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated from the 1st to 7th August, all around the world. Its main aim is to encourage and spread awareness about the health benefits for the mother and the infant. The The slogan for this year is
Empower Parents, Enable Breastfeeding.
The following are some important points:
- Feed the colostrum (thick yellow milk) to the infant within an hour of birth.
- The first thick milk of the mother is full of nutrients, which helps the infant to fight different diseases and protects from infections
- Mothers should feed their infants with their milk during its first six months. Don’t give anything eatable, not even water.
- Start weaning (Food Supplementing) with cow’s milk right after six months. (Consult a Dietician)
- Take special care for the lactating mother’s diet, so that she can feed better to the newborn.
- Immunize the infant and mother to protect from diseases - I cannot stress this enough.